Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Lacquer art up close


Hi Hi sisters ...... I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, did you eat and laugh a lot? We are pretty exhausted after returning from Taiwan, hehe, don't know if it is because we ate too much, therefore we have to drag more body weight along?? Even though it's still quiet from the Bae camp, but I notice our ''blogger' sisters have been diligenty posting :) Thank you so much for keeping us abreast of the Bae happenings around the world!

As you've read in flowerbossa's blog, Mr. Jun Yong Bok is holding an exhibition in Tokyo Korea Center. I am actually very much looking forward to this as my plan to visit Iwayama Museum prior to its closing didn't materialize, sob sob. I know the atmosphere will not be the same as standing in the historic setting in Iwayama, where Yong Joon had spent his apprenticeship there.


Hehe, but I'll take what I'm given :) Cloudnine, moichan, kiyomi took our visiting babasan there yesterday and I was happy to tag along.

We were greeted with this huge lacquer work of Mr. Jun - titled 'Onma'. I guess it's universal, whenever we think of our mommy, her hearty homecooking always comes to mind. You see the whole painting is filled with food in omoni's kitchen? Be it storing, hanging or cooking!


Yayaya, recognize someone's name hiding behind the pretty flowers?
No? Ok, I'll zoom in :) Yes yes, wish it were the real man himself intead of that flower stand, dreaming!

Sorry, no picture taking inside the hall. So I just took one aiming into it :) Yes, I've seen Mr. Jun's work in Meguro Gajoen before, but that was a restoration of traditional paintings. This exhibition is about his lacquer artworks - which expressed his thoughts and ideals.


I am very happy to be able to see up close on every piece of artworks he's created. Mr. Jun seems to favor primary colors - like strong red, cobalt blue, celery green and black of course. The theme drew a lot from nature like plants, birds, animals, mountains. His artworks appear to be abstract and free-flowing, yet the details reveal that it demanded a well thought-out concept and painstaking effort - the delicacy of every brush stroke; the thickness and tone of paint; the size, density and placement of every bit of mother-of-pearl. To achieve that shine (or 'slick' ness, sorry for my bad English) on the surface, boy, that workroom's got to be dust free! No wonder Mr. Jun chose such a quiet remote town to house his workshop.


You can't help but respect someone with not only such skills and dedication, but with dreams to spread the culture across borders and oceans. It is a blessing that our handsome prince will carry the torch and preserve a precious skill that reflect the fine cultures of both Japan and Korea.

1 more day to 2010!

3 comments:

gosijo said...

Dear Jaime,

I hope your dream of visiting the Iwayama Museum will come true once it re-opens in the Spring.

The words you used to describe Mr. Jun's art were very well chosen. Ah, how I wish I could have seen them!

Wishing you a Haoppy New Year!!!

bbmag said...

welcome 'home' :)

and... happy new year!

jaime said...

Dear gosijo and bb,

Thanks for your comments and sorry for my late reply. Life is going to be very crazy in 2010 for me. Hope you'll understand. All the best!

love ... jaime