Friday, November 28, 2008

Slow dance


Hi Hi sisters .... our dear gosijo has sent me this poem written by a terminally-ill teenager. I almost broke down when I read it, do you share the same sentiment?


SLOW DANCE

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round?
Or listened to the rain slapping on the ground?
Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?
You better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly?
When you ask 'How are you?',
Do you hear the reply?
When the day is done,
Do you lie in your bed
With the next hundred chores
Running through your head?
You'd better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won't last.

Ever told your child,
'We'll do it tomorrow'?
And in your haste,
Not see his sorrow?
Ever lost touch,
Let a good friendship die.
Cause you never had time
To call and say 'Hi'
You'd better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere,
You miss half the fun of getting there.
When you worry and hurry through your day,
It is like an unopened gift .....
Thrown away.
Life is not a race.
Do take it slower
Hear the music
before the song is over.




For the past year, I have been busy trying to absorb new 'everything' and let some of my old friendship slides. As I can't see the disappointment on their faces, too many times I just comfort myself, "oh later, they'll understand". The fact is communication in a relationship is like water to a plant, sooner or later the friendship is going to dry up :(

My dear Yong Joon, how do you do it all? Being so occupied with your many engagements and running a huge business empire, still you manage to be so considerate to all your friends (old & new). What's your secret? N
ow, please don't tell me to hire a secretary, huh?


12 comments:

bbmag said...

i got this in the email too, and absolutely love it. (although i gotta admit i've plenty of thoughts about whether there really is a terminally ill girl behind all this... and how forwarded email can be tracked, etc...)

but it still is a wonderful piece, even the title's wonderful.

yea, so often we don't stop to smell the roses. so often we neglect the journey in our pursuit of the destination.

take care, and take time.

Hydee Pole Photography said...

It makes you slow down and ponder the life that you have. Where I am at the moment it felt like I had to strive to this and do that. It became overwhelming at one point so I just stopped. Life is precious and the present is more important otherwise there won't be future to look forward.
BYJ hopefully found some time for himself and free to experience life. From the look of it he is a very committed man to other people. He must be able to balance it all without losing what he values most. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I think in true life human being daily activities is like a race. Example for those who have married , there have to go to work, do the house work, take care of their children & etc. Although I am still single but seeing all my married colleagues and friends, you really can't ask them to slow down or take thing at a time. There will tell you that, not enough of time to use perday. But I still advice them to take things at a time and enjoy life.Do you know what there told me. You do not know want because you are still single.

Life is really short and moreover always received new that friends and relatives sudden pass away with out illness. At that moment you will think, why human life is so short.

Sorry if you find that my comments is boring long winded in this early morning.

Take care & cheers

Jenny

jaime said...

hi hi bb,

hehe me too, always skeptical about emails that ask you to forward it to xx number of people. But I have to thank gosijo for sending this wonderful piece.
It certainly reminds us to value the wonderful people and things along the route of our pursuit.

Glad you are fine.

love .... jaime

jaime said...

Hi Hyds,

I agree with you. We have probably all experienced this at some points in our lives, then we re-examine and re-prioritize. Maybe it's not a bad idea to slow down a bit? (sorry, I guess I am just talking to myself here :) Thanks for reading.

regards..... jaime

jaime said...

Hi dear jenny,

Thank you for your comment, it's not long & boring at all. I understand what you and your friends mean. I applaud you for having the sense to advise your married friends to slow down. Sometimes it takes a major event that can shake us up and realize what's important in life, but hopefully a little poem like this can also serve as a gentle reminder. Please take care!

love ... jaime

Maha said...

Dear Jaime,

Thank you for reminding us of a very imprtant fact; to always water our friendship lest they wither away. It happens to each and every one of us as life drags us by the nose and we follow blindfolded, unaware of the gems of friends we keep on the backburner. The poem is another reminder of how ignorantly we squander so many precious moments. It is a blessing to have you all as friends.

jaime said...

Dear Maha,

I am so touched (and surprised) to read from you. I didn't know you visit here. I always enjoy every word you wrote, so articulate and have such profound meaning. Yeah, sometimes I have such one-track mind on certain destination and therefore losing sights of the wonderful things happening along the way.

Thanks for always being there for our little covenette sisters :) Please take care and stay in touch!

love & hugs .... Jaime

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaime,

What an inspiring piece you shared with all of us here. It made you analyze life and its complexity specially us who are always on the go and always trying to joggle whats to prioritize on our daily hectic sked.
Life is music itself with fast, medium and slow beat and I bet almost all of us or all of us here are dancing the fast music and it will make us tired and drained sooner that we expected and miss the most important part of happy living.
Thanks so much Jaime and the writer for this eye opener... It made me think if I am living a balanced life with my family, friends, colleague.

always,

jelen

btw, can I share this poem with my friends?

jaime said...

Dear jelen,

You're so right. Whether we like it or not, we are somehow being forced into dancing to the fast tune in life. When I see how much is expected from our children, I really wonder does the world have to be this competitive?

You're welcome to take this piece with you. btw, I still haven't forgotten your question regarding 'meeting other Bae sisters' :)

love ... jaime

Anonymous said...

Dear Jaime,

Thanks for the response. My other friends are going to love this poem.

Thanks for remembering "meeting other BAe Sis". I'll send you a message when our plans are already definite. I actually have a year to plan for it.

Bye.

Yours,

jelen

jaime said...

hi hi jelen,

just posted 'meeting new Bae sisters', hope you like it.
have to get my beauty sleep now, bye!

love ... jaime