Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Still a Dreamer .....

Still on the subject of spring cleaning …. Yes, I know I know it’s fall already. But you see, I am a procrastinator. I can give myself multiple legitimate excuses not to do something, and then carrying that guilt like a boulder on my back until I resume it. So, to put a period to this unfinished task, I still intend to call it ‘spring cleaning’.


One of the pleasant surprises when you are organizing your belongings is the discovery of long-forgotten treasures. Ok ok ......I don’t really have any treasures, at least not in other people’s eyes. Strolling down memory lane, I am enjoying some very old pictorial journals which I entered when I (well, shall I say?) had much less experience in life. I guess once a dreamer, always a dreamer. My world was so filled with dreams, my feelings so naïve, my words so hopeful. Every few years, I would actually summarize what my life had been up to, my current state of mind, and what my aspirations are for the future. I can’t help smiling when I read about some of my wishes back then – let's see, I didn’t quite make it to the Canada Swim team and break a record or two in the Olympics, definitely didn't win a Nobel Prize in Physiology for solving the ‘which one comes first, the chicken or the egg?’ question nor did I become the first female Prime Minister advocating that Santa Claus and his elfs actually live in Canada!


I re-discover the same sentiment towards love and life from the journal that I wrote and the pencil drawings I did on nature’s scenaries. Could it be that I knew a person like Yong Joon would appear in my life many many years later? This old passage echoes how I feel about our King now, eerily coincidental, you say? I will try to translate a few lines here (extremely ineloquent, please excuse me) :


After so many years, are you still that same naïve little girl here?
Tucking you in the dreams, Jaime, could it be him?
Is he really your dream?
Can he really stroll with you into the sunset?
Can he really watch the sea waves next to you?
Can he share your dreams?

I can’t answer, I don’t really know,
Because I have never tried,
But can you give me a chance to try?

In every corner of the world,
Across oceans and mountains,
Where does my heart belong?
No, it is rested with some one at the other end of the world.




Well my dear sisters, back to reality! Please don’t forget TWSSG episode 4/5 this week at 9:55pm Korea time. Happy watching! (and as sweet jillie said, remember to blink your eyes!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinggu!

The poem is very well written & nicely translated. My gosh, are those really your old picture journals? they look so beautiful & nicely wrapped! If I can be that highly organized as you are with all my junk, then hubby might give me an award for being the best wife the world has ever known. You are so careful & very neat with all those journals. They can be considered your life's treasures. My suggestion for all the stuffs that you consider as "junk"- have a garage sale & I am sure that all the housewives in your neighborhood will run amock to get to all those stuffs. If those were mine, I would find it so hard to part with any coz they are part of my years as a wife & mom. Kinda sentimental of me,heheheheheh!

See yah all tonite at the 4th episode of TWSSG. Wish HRH will appear tonite as himself later. Miss him so much.

Love,
Judy

jaime said...

Hi chinggu,

Wow! just finished watching epi.4, he's so handsome and love his mischievious side.

hehe, those are just pictures of some Victorian journals. Mine are far less ornate, very simple design. Thanks for your kind words, those writings were done when I was a teenager. hehe, already dreaming about my Prince Charming back then ;) You the same?

love ... jaime

gosijo said...

Hi Jaime,

Got a hint of Damdeok's mischievious side in the episode previews. I hope to watch it in a few days, once the Quilt team has posted their excellent translation, and provided the YouTube postings continue.

I re-read your poem a few times and it seems so much like my own teenaged thoughts. I remember writing a few poems too and, like you, I would have to translate them from another language... if only I could find them buried in all that JUNK in the basement.

Well, one day, one day, when I find a way to dispose of all these Pokemon card collections, Dragonball comic books, in French, no less, Power Rangers action figures, Lego castles and space vehicles.

What's that? "Get an ebay account", you say?

jaime said...

Hi hi gosijo,

haha, so we are both hopelessly romantic? maybe that's one of the traits of women who are attracted to Bae Yong Joon.

Oh, those Pokemon cards and Lego bionicles are taking over our world. Great idea, I think there will be a lot of takers when you put them on ebay, good luck!

love ... jaime