Friday, October 26, 2007

What's with the Hair?

Hehe, while we are on the topic of hair. I remember maybe I should add my old article to my blog for record purposes, please bear with me. This one was posted back in 09/2006 in Quilt :

Dear sisters ……. What do you think of our prince’s recent evolvement in his hair style? Here’re my thoughts to share with you, hope you’ll enjoy …..



The first time I laid eyes on our gorgeous prince was in Winter Sonata, besides that ‘out-to-kill’ sunshine smile, was that ‘out-to-shock’ golden hairdo that caught my attention. What a glorious combination of an ultra-handsome modern man living in an ultra-romantic fantasy! I was so totally electrified that if you plug the socket of your microwave oven into my ears, I can probably help you to defrost your steak for tonight’s dinner (Asian sister, please use your AC adapter, we use 125 volts here in Canada). Determined to live in my prince’s image even though it’s already 4 years after the fact (never mind, we Canadians are not known to be fashionistas anyway), so without wasting another second, I frantically summoned my ‘favourite’ hairstylist. You see, my hairstylist is the type who scouts the latest trend around the world, then eagerly want to experiment it on his victim’s (I mean, customer’s) hair. Being a ‘self-respecting’ woman living a simple life, I try to voice out that I have absolutely no desire to look like a ‘gel-up, make-up’ runway model in a John Galliano’s fashion show donning those asymmetrical puffed up hairdo (maybe another time, another life, but definitely not now). But at the end, Mr. Trendsetter always prevails, I usually let him win. Hey, I’m not dumb, after all he’s the guy who is holding the scissors up there. I don’t want to risk turning my haircutting session into an ‘open face surgery’!

But this time is different, with my powerful prince behind me, I was pretty adamant that MinHyung’s hair IS my hair. He had no choice but to succumb to my demand and fussed on my hair with a pouting face the whole time. I specifically instructed him on the cutting angle, blow drying technique, what base colour, how much highlight and where exactly I want it (I could have easily shown him MinHyung’s picture but I was afraid he’d be laughing at me all the way to the washing basin). Have you ever wondered what mysterious ‘magic’ mist those stylists spray on your hair and somehow randomly fluff a few strands up here and there, and voila, you look so Hollywood-glamorous at that instant but you can never re-create it again at home?

I was one satisfied customer this time and proudly strode out of the salon, through the busy shopping malls and into the parking lot. Along the way, I couldn’t help but noticed everybody was staring at me, some even turned their heads around to look. I was smiling to myself and feeling totally gratified with the attention I was getting! I got into my car and decided to flip down my vanity mirror to admire myself one more time. ‘Holy moly! Who sticks a picture of Lion King on my mirror?!’ I rubbed my eyes, touched the mirror and looked closely again, Holy Moly, that’s NO ‘Lion King’, that’s MEEEEEEE! My golden brown hair was sticking up and out in all directions like a lion with a GIGANTIC mane. Those passers-by were NOT admiring yours truly, they thought a half human/half beast lunatic has just escaped from Prehistoric Jurassic Park! I felt like taking my head off and stashed it in the back seat while driving all the way home. I swear I will never go back to the Trendsetter guy again (btw, I’ve also said it at least 20 times before)!



A few months has passed, both my hair and shattered self-esteem has slowly restored to its normalcy when our prince revealed himself again attending the wedding of SSH’s manager. This time the ultra-handsome prince donned a long hairdo tied loosely and casually at the back in a pony tail. Remember his Korean fans joked in the AS screening that Yong Joon should have more ‘dirty thoughts’ so his hair could grow faster? I was just so glad that my hair has caught up to his length so quickly even though I SWEAR my thoughts are totally clean and pure. Well, at least when I am NOT thinking about him (it’s another story when I do think of him ~@@~). For the next 5 hours, this silly woman was standing in front of the bathroom mirror extending her poor arthritic arms and hands up to tie those hair at just the right looseness and length, running between the bathroom and computer to verify that ‘easy breezy cover girl’ look. My effort finally paid off, for the next few months, yours truly was also donning this exact same ponytail as my prince. (Please don’t laugh at me, my heart really feels very warm and close to him knowing we are wearing the same hairstyle!)



Then the new summer Lotte pictures showed a slight variation by introducing curly waves to my prince’s hair. That may sound easy enough, after all it’s just curling a few strips of hair using the hot iron right? WRONG!!! Do you have any idea the torture ‘a night owl’ like me experience by dragging myself out of bed in the morning even 1 minute before the absolute latest wake up time?! Let me tell you, that degree of torture is equivalent to actually putting 10 burning hot curling irons directly on my hands, feet and forehead! But to ensure I resemble the Asian Goldilocks, I had to set my alarm clock half an hour earlier every morning to curl my hair now. Aye, the sacrifice I have to make for you my prince!



Wow, when the latest Lotte pictures came out a few days ago, the prince once again shocked me with this ‘gender-blender’ hairstyle, I was literally at a loss of words. His face still looks heavenly gorgeous, but WHAT’S WITH THE HAIR? Who doesn’t look ridiculous walking in an average crowd wearing a hairdo like that? How much disguise does a girl have to wear on her face so as not to be recognized? I know I know, you say ‘Who told you to copy the same style as our prince?’. But you see, it’s my destiny already, some fans wear his Megane-Ichiba eyeglasses, some wear his pinky ring, I just wear his hair! I can’t speak about other actors or actresses, but Yong Joon’s facial features are so beautiful and delicate, only he can carry a hairdo like this and still manage to radiate a princely, refined and sultry air. Now my big question is how do I achieve that look? Is this one of those styles that you have to hang your head up side down to dry, then tease the hair high at the top and back? Isn’t that similar to the lion mane that I’ve just recovered from a few months ago? Looks like I’ll have to crawl back to Mr. Trendsetter and beg him to try this one for me too (hopefully he has amnesia since my last visit and has forgotten about the Lion King incident, so our professional ‘stylist-client’ relationship can blossom once again, amen)!

9 comments:

gosijo said...

Hee hee, jaime, thanks for the laughs and the cautionary tale, not to mention the memories of another great classic JZ post!

You remember how yummilicious I had found that Megane Ichiba 'do and how tempted I had been to head to the nearest salon? Lucky I remembered the Lion King and other JZ hair sagas and opted for the simple expedient of sticking a few clips through my hair. When at home. On weekends.

Speaking of which, have a great one ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
vegasbyj said...

hi jaime!

i hadn't had the pleasure of reading this until now. this is another great piece you've shared. I LOVE IT...Lion King and all. This man is ever changing, ever growing, always surprising us. I tried putting my hair up in those pony tails he's been sporting, but ... no can do. I think I'll keep my hair just the way it is....long and simple.

Have a great weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for the good laughs. I somehow have this mental image of you going about your everyday business and your own mini stylist running behind you with comb and spray making sure to maintain each of those hairdos. At least she would be reassured of a full time permanent job as she knew another hairdo was coming around the corner any minute. Ha ha ha. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chinggu!

Thanx for re-posting this so memorable JZ classic(sorry I had to copy this from Gosijo). I remember when you wrote this one last year & you had so many responses from the Quilt sisters. Which reminds me, how is Mr. Trendsetter nowadays? hahahahah!

Take care dearie & have a happy weekend everyone!

Love lots,
judy

jaime said...

hi hi gosijo,

Your hairstyle looks great, it fits you perfectly. hehe, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try out the wilder styles at home :)

hope you had a great weekend.

love .. jaime

jaime said...

hi hi vegas,

oh, I am glad you like reading this as I know it's boring to repost old articles. hehe, I agree w/ you, long and simple is most beautiful. But my problem is, I like to change my style according to the weather and mood! straight, curly, long, tied up - it's drivng me nuts ;)

love ..... jaime

jaime said...

hahaha dear byjforever,

Thanks, but you have a better imagination than me! How I wish to have a mini stylist following me around, then at least I would look more presentable! Right now, those mini stylists would be my left and right hands which are doing all the combing and spraying :)

love .. jaime

jaime said...

hi dear chinggu,

thank you for liking this one. huh, Mr. Trendsetter is getting more and more 'artistic', meaning I feel like I am putting my head on the slaughtering table. Should I slap some sense out of him? :)

love .. jaime