Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Happy Halloween


Well, by now, the little ghosts and goblins should be soundly asleep, probably still dreaming about their fun ‘trick or treat’ outings AND hopefully have brushed their teeth thoroughly after gobbling up a whole year’s quota of candies! I always love handing out Halloween treats to the kids. This is the only night in the year that I get to see the neighborhood kids all made up in their elaborate costumes. There are certain activities that are governed by age, and ‘trick or treating’ is definitely one of them. Some adolescents have already decided that it’s too embarrassing (and not cool!) to knock on neighbors’ doors to ask for candies. I cherish the precious moments of watching my boy’s face turning strawberry-red, panting and sweating, waving his pumpkin bowl high up in the air after running through 10 different streets screaming, “Mama, mama, look how much I’ve got!”


Hehe, I don’t know if you’ve ever run into a situation like this : You try to strike up a conversation with the other passengers in an elevator (beats everybody standing like a wooden log facing the wall, right?) Well, the easiest way is to pose a happy question to an eager expectant mother, so you notice this woman who looks like she’s 5 months pregnant. You proceed to ask smilingly, “How many more months to go?” The woman is caught a bit off guard by your question, then realizes what you are thinking and subconsciously looks down at her tummy. When she raises her head up again, her face is written with displeasure and her eyes pierce you with disgust. At that moment, you just wish that you had cut your tongue off and there is a hole somewhere that you can stick your head in.


Ha, I guess one really becomes wiser when one gets older (either that or my last lesson was so embarrassing that I can’t afford to forget!) ...... Today being Halloween and all, it’s a big deal for kids in the school. Besides teachers and staffs, even some parents are dressed up in costumes (or so I assume). I run into another mother who normally looks pretty decent in a sense that her hair is neatly tied up, her clothes quite simple and low-key. However today she is covered up in this elaborate oversize black robe-thingy and her hair all frizzed up, soooo not her. I was this close in blurting out “Nice costume” but I quicky realized she is changing to a new look today. (Boy, what a day to pick to go to a hairdresser!) I am so glad that I swallowed my 'compliment' back just in time!

Hehe, lesson learned : no assumption but the truth. Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

vegasbyj said...

Hi Jaime!

Hope you had a great Halloween! It was kinda quiet in our neighborhood. We had about 30 kids come by the house. Most of them were young - no more than 10 or 12 years old. Cute! Very cute! and they know how to say Thank you. What was funny this year, no one yelled "Trick or Treat". They just rang the doorbell. I remember when we used to run from house to house and at the door we would yell really loud. When I dropped my son off at school yesterday, several kids were dressed up...nothing outrageous tho...

I think many families opt for "safe trick or treating" - going someplace safe like the shopping malls instead of having their kids run around the neighborhood. Too bad - that was the fun part - being able to run around your neigborhood with your pals.

I hope your son enjoyed himself and got lots and lots of goodies!

jaime said...

my dear vegas,

I agree w/ you, more kids are turning to celebrating Halloween in the shopping malls than running from house to house. Like you, I still remember fondly of old ladies sitting in the front porch dressed up as witches, trying to scare us and handing out candies to us. I love the cool air in a beautiful fall evening and the crispy sound of kids stepping on the dried up fallen leaves - signify Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming!

Glad you had a good time too!

love ... jaime

vegasbyj said...

Oh goodness!

Christmas decorations were up before Halloween....where did the year go?
We haven't had Thanksgiving yet.

*sighs*